About Me

My photo
In Search and Research

Monday, January 17, 2011

Karpatri Ji Maharaj

Karpatri ji Maharaj. Let me try to remember where did this stream of thought started. Not very clear now. May be it will come later or it might have been lost forever. So somewhere while going through internet I came across this name. Instantly, what came to my mind was words of my youngest uncle, lovely called Chota Chacha. When I used to appear like giving lecture on religious topic he would call me Karpatri ji maharaj. I thought all the time that it was a name cooked up by him and never took that seriously. It must be because I never heard that name from anybody else. So when I got the name again while going through internet I thought that there must be something behind it. so I search a bit about it.
It seems he was a great orator with religious dialogue. There is one link in Wikipedia, but that is very limited. I got another link from blogspot of some Jagadanand (http://jagadanandadas.blogspot.com/2008/06/swami-karpatriji.html), who claimed himself to be achintya-bhedabheda-vadi.
There are few facts which I came across. He was a man of wisdom, an authority on advaita and specialized on mayavad. He must have been a very respected person in Varanasi. I see that there are some educational institute in his name. nothing unusual many religious leaders have invested in education of society at large. It also appeared that he was critic of Iskon and in return was at their aim too. He was a great and popular Harikatha proponent
Few things I found very interesting and I feel like quoting them here.

“Karpatriji explores the commentaries for each verse, and won't put a verse down until he has explored every alleyway, every nook and cranny of interpretation possible, whether it comes from the Gaudiyas, the Vallabhis, or any other sampradaya.”

“His language is just shaped through and through by the language of the Bhagavata. Entire phrases that slip from his tongue with such natural ease, names of Krishna—he won’t just say “Krishna,” but “Shyamasundar Madana-mohana Paramananda-kanda Sri Krishna” or instead of Radha, he will say “Hladini Shakti Svarupini, Mahabhava svarupini Vrishabhanu-nandini Sri Radha.”
“It is really interesting how he uses language. He is basing everything on the tikas, he is repeating the Sanskrit over and over again. Not only the Sanskrit of the verse, but the Sanskrit of the tika as well. He then translates into a moe sophisticated Sanskritized Hindi, following with the more familiar language, repeated his translation over and over until he gets that sentence just right, until he gets that full idea . It does not sound like he is struggling at all, just that with each repetition it becomes more full and complete. Then he goes into the vyakhya. Then he will bring in other verses or citations from other scriptures--Gita, Ramacharita Manasa, or some other text, tell an entire story. Or some nice asvadya verse which he will do something similar with.

Then as he completes the interpretation of one section of the original verse, he will repeat the entire verse, or just the same one or two lines and start in on another vyakhya of the same words or phrases. The end result is that by the time you have listened to the whole five hours of discussion of one verse, it is beating away like a drum in your head.”

I should not miss the meaning of the name Karpatri which means he held a bowl (patra) in his hand (kara). I got few more sites dealing about him. (http://www.exoticindiaart.com/book/details/IHD007) here I came to know that he was active even in political field and was in active opposition to RSS. That was an interesting point for me.
And finally since Chote Chacha also used this tells that he was very much know widely and denoted certain quality.

No comments: