About Me

My photo
In Search and Research

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Excellent Vs Redefining

Every one wants to see some change. Many even want to be the cause of change ( I refrain from using words agents of change.) The need and method differs from person to person. People of similar though may come together. Every time it appears that they lure the cat on the wall and grawl at the one at the other side of wall. Recently I replied to a post by Balaji in which he had argued that present education has taught us only to serve the rich.
It opened a Pandora box and there was lot of comment on that. I thought of commenting but then I held back, while following the responses. Then I received invitation of balaji to comment. It gave me freedom to act. I know Balaji is not one, who will be hurt by hard talk. So my point was that in his flow he forgets few and then flaws creep in, which hurt few in the process. What I said was new to me too. It was even appreciated by few in the post which followed. So I feel I can put them here too.
I think there are two ways of making changing 1) excelling and 2) redefining. Both are justified by their followers.
Excelling is to accept the rules and to excel the game. The world lends ear to the winner. He gets a moment to speak out and he can make change in that moment. This process has been institutionalized over the ages. While, redefining is to start a new game altogether (sometimes reviving a lost or loosing game too) and this awaits radical thinkers.
I think, our institute too emphasized on the first while second was left to individual exploration. So most of us try to excel in the way everyone in the world is trying. This group will always be in majority because it is easy for most of the people to join. This group needs space to prove themself. So there is search for space, call it advertisement, competition, even war. This process needs excellent but moderate individuals. It also has collateral damage associated with it. It will make us strong and also weak.
Second group needs different people they need not be excellent. They will always be looked from far, appreciated, commented and criticized but rarely accompanied. They will be termed radicals and hardliners but they never asked for certificate from anybody. All they need is to have faith and prove it to own. These people don’t need space among the first group (in fact they are in different plane itself) but need time to prove (Am I saying that it is space-time conflict?)
It is not say that there are two groups of people. One can be excellent in one aspect while redefining in other. I don’t think world had to be black and white, we can allow all shades of grey to exist. So we can appreciate each other instead of trying to say who is right or wrong. We have ample space and enough time line available (I don’t believe in unsustainable earth or doomsday).
Did I say what I wanted to say?

No comments: